In late 2004, after a 15 year odyssey, I opened Embora Wellness and Movement Studio a community hub for arts and wellness. Everyday of the five years it was in existence was a magical offering. Dance, poetry, music, wellness, movement and music notables such as Urban Bush Woman, Ron Brown, Maimona Keita, Ase Dance Theater Collective, Maritri and the Soul Folks Experience, Marlies Yearby, Pure Elements, Thelma Hill performing arts, Afro Mosaic Soul, Martial arts pioneer, Prof. Ronald Duncan and many more.
EM Arts is the evolution of service to community at an even higher level, education.
To support and enhance existing academic instruction, while providing a comprehensive educational platform for overall wellness and human development.
Provide and administer a movement based programming experience with a demonstrable outcome to be exhibited at the conclusion of the designated program.
• Building Character Education: Zest, Self-Control, Curiosity, Social Intelligence
• Creating “safe spaces” for students to express themselves within the school environment
• Increasing participation and focus, including following directions, listening and waiting your turn
• Standing and moving in straight lines; giving yourself and others enough space to walk without touching
• Comfort with touch – how to touch in socially acceptable ways
• Encouraging student reflection
• Self-awareness: “Am I really being still?”
• Learning to use de-escalation in conflict
• Learning how to use the space of a page, a line, a canvas, a room
• Engaging ways to teaching Phonemic Awareness and Phonics
Students manifest the skills in their everyday lives, evidencing their ability to live out the essential understandings.